Vermillion HRC (Housing and Redevelopment Commission)

25 Center Street
Vermillion, SD  57069
(605) 677-7191


Rural Office of Community Services, Inc.

PO Box 547
Wagner, SD  57380
(605) 384-3883

ROCS Website


Region XII Regional Housing Authority

320 East 7th St
Carroll, IA 51401

(712) 792-5560

Region XII Housing Authority Website


Sioux City Housing Authority​

405 6th Street, P.O. Box 447
Sioux City, IA 51102

Sioux City Housing Authority Website


Community Action Agency

2700 Leech Avenue
Sioux City, IA 51106

(712) 274-1610

Community Action Agency of Siouxland (caasiouxland.org)

What are the general steps to begin receiving Section 8?

  1. Contact your local Public Housing Agency (PHA listed above). They will help determine if you are eligible for Section 8 assistance. This is based on both the family size and the total annual gross income. In general, the income may not exceed 50 percent of the area’s median income. Section 8 is also limited to US citizens and certain categories of non-citizens with eligible immigration status.

  2. Obtain an application for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program. Applications for the Housing Choice Voucher program are entirely free, and depending on the PHA, will available online, by mail or at the local housing authority’s office.

  3. Fill out and submit the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program application. 

  4. Find out Waiting List status. After the housing office processes the application, individuals and families will either be rejected or placed on a waiting list.

  5. During this time, the applicant can also choose to accept project-based vouchers.

  6. Once the applicant is approved for a tenant-based voucher, they can begin to look for an apartment or home.

  7. The chosen home will get a physical inspection.

  8. Once the property is approved, PHAs will pay a portion of rent on their behalf.

  9. If the applicant is approved for project-based housing vouchers, a PHA can refer the applicant to a project-based assistance property owner with a vacant unit.

  10. If the applicant is screened and accepted by the property owner, the PHA will pay the portion of rent on their behalf.

Can I take my Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher to a different area? (Portability)

Yes, you can take your Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher to a different area once specific conditions are met. This process is referred to as "portability." A Housing Choice Voucher participant may only port out to a different area after one year of residency in the jurisdiction of the housing authority that issued the voucher. However, if the voucher holder was a resident when they initially applied for the voucher, they may request to port out to a different jurisdiction at any time. (For example, if you live in California, and apply for the Sioux City Housing Authority Section 8 waiting list in Iowa, you must live within the Sioux City Housing Authority's jurisdiction with your voucher for 12 months before porting. But, if you live in Sioux City and apply for the Sioux City Housing Authority Section 8 waiting list, you may port to a new area any time after you receive your voucher.)

How do I begin the porting process?

To begin this process, you must first contact the housing authority that currently manages your voucher. You will then be instructed to contact the housing authority that serves the area you are interested in moving to. All contacts for jurisdictions in which we have property are listed above. That housing authority must either be "absorbing" or "billing" vouchers. Absorbing means that the housing authority takes full control over your voucher. Billing means that the housing authority will take you in as a resident, but it will bill your previous housing authority for its share of your monthly rent. If the housing authority is not either absorbing or billing, you cannot port to that housing authority.

Where can I get more information?

Click the following links for more information: